Time is of the essence when you’re starving and have kiddos to feed and look after. This is one of my go-to lunches that can be assembled in minutes, doesn’t require any measuring or cooking, and is on the healthier side.
Bonus: You can eat it with one hand while child wrangling in the other.
All that’s needed is a whole wheat tortilla, a smear of pesto, a couple slices of deli turkey, mixed greens, and veggies (I love red onion and cherry tomatoes). Wrap it up and enjoy standing up as I often do on busy days.
- 1 quart strawberries, sliced
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. white rum (Bacardi, etc.)
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- 1 c. whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- Zest of one lime
- Angel food cake, cut into 8 slices
- Combine sliced strawberries, lime juice, sugar, and rum in a bowl. Let the berries mascerate in the juice, sugar, and rum for 20 minutes.
- While the berries are mascerating, beat the cream and sugar until soft peaks form. Fold in the lime zest.
- Place the angel food cake slices on a warm grill and toast all sides. Watch them carefully as they burn easily! Depending on the heat of your grill, toasting may take less than a minute per side.
- Just before serving, toss the berries with the chopped mint. Serve a piece of grilled angel food cake with a large spoonful of berries and a good size dollop of whipped cream.