Today’s recipe is all about double duty. If you are firing up the grill for dinner, keep it going and prepare to get your socks knocked off by one of the lightest and easiest desserts out there.
I’m about to tell you to grill cake.
Are you ready?
Something magical happens when sugary angel food cake gets lightly toasted and charred on the grill. All of the sugars caramelize and it gets this sticky, crunchy exterior that is so good.
The other thing I’m about to do is tell your strawberries to get drunk.
Get drunk, strawberries.
My go to drink of the summer is a mojito. Lime and mint were meant to be together. Rum is always a good sidekick too.
I can’t imagine a happier bunch of berries than those swimming in fresh lime juice, rum, and lots of chopped mint.
The beauty of this recipe is you can make the berries and whipped cream while the angel food cake grills so it’s pretty effortless and easy to throw together for summer entertaining.
The “wow” and “yum” factor are off the charts.
Better drink a mojito while preparing this as well…trust me.
Grilled Angel Food Cake with Mojito Berries and Lime Whipped Cream
- 1 quart strawberries sliced
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. white rum (Bacardi, etc.)
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- 1 c. whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- Zest of one lime
- Angel food cake sliced into 8 slices
- Combine sliced strawberries, lime juice, sugar, and rum in a bowl. Let the berries mascerate in the juice, sugar, and rum for 20 minutes.
- While the berries are mascerating, beat the cream and sugar until soft peaks form. Fold in the lime zest.
- Place the angel food cake slices on a warm grill and toast all sides. Watch them carefully as they burn easily! Depending on the heat of your grill, toasting may take less than a minute per side.
- Just before serving, toss the berries with the chopped mint. Serve a piece of grilled angel food cake with a large spoonful of berries and a good size dollop of whipped cream.