What makes for a great, cheap date in my book?
- We actually connect/chat/laugh (hint: not sit in a dark movie theater for 2+ hours ).
- We don’t break the bank.
- We don’t have to cook or clean up.
My husband and I stumbled on the best date night hack and I needed to share. He had been working some long hours and was stressed with a big project and I was stressed with picking up the slack at home. It was time for a date night. We so easily fall into the rut of dinner and a movie. When we were dating and kid-free, I was ok with the average date night. Nowadays, if we’re going to spring for a sitter, I want that time to be extra worthwhile…without breaking the bank.
This particular time we both were in the mood for a massage. We found a great deal for a couples massage on Groupon and booked a sitter. Afterwards, we stopped by a local restaurant and placed an order for carryout. We had a drink at the bar while we waited for our food, had some great conversation that didn’t revolve around work or parenthood, and then headed home.
The genius factor?
The babysitter was almost half the normal cost of a dinner/movie date night! Every minute you spend fighting sleep in a movie theater is another minute you’re paying for child care. With this hack, our babysitter was off the clock in half the time and I was in my pajamas enjoying a cocktail at home.
- Start the night with an activity that engages and connects you with your partner. Scan Groupon for local deals, find an online guide for your town and try something new, or search social media with a hashtag for your city for some inspiration.
- Get some food to go. Try out a new spot you’ve never eaten at before or grab some grub from an old standby. Either way, you’re not cooking or cleaning up and that’s a win win. While you wait for your meal, order a drink at the bar and converse.
- Book the sitter for the time it will take for your chosen activity and a drink while you wait for your food to go. Enjoy the feeling of your wallet when it wasn’t cleared out for hours and hours of childcare!
Do you have a formula for a great, cheap date night? I’d love to hear it!